Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The American Flag in Fashion

Working in research has allowed me to interact with a multitude of people from various countries. One thing that seems to shock my coworkers from other countries (except the UK) is our natural patriotic display of our flag. Apparently, it's a big no-no in other countries to display the flag except in sporting events. So when they see my Union Jack mug or a Stars and Stripes t-shirt, I sometimes get a shake of the head and an odd look.

I think it is better to be patriotic though. It is something that binds everyone together and I love that our flag can be displayed in so many ways, especially through fashion. Our flag can be used in stylish items and when viewed by a fellow American, I'm not seeing an overly patriotic, arrogant American, but the flag is a natural part of our identity. Displaying the flag through whatever means seems as natural as Football Sundays and Thanksgiving in November.



Top 1: here at Chica Nova for $15
Shorts: here at Charlotte Russe for $25
Scarf: here at Wet Seal for $10

While I want them all, I am especially loving the shorts, though the scarf does provide more subtlety. Go get your 'Merica on!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment